Monday, April 22, 2013

French Knickers Sew-Along... Adding "Le Crotch" Insert


Today for the French Knickers Sew-Along we're going to add a finishing touch to our French Knickers: "Le Crotch."  (I may as well just get used to saying it. )
This piece should be cut from cotton jersey fabric or something similar. Mine is tencil knit jersey. bamboo knit jersey is also wonderful. You can even cut this piece from an old t-shirt if you like!

"Le Crotch"

For certain fabrics you might consider finishing the edges of "le crotch" with an edge stitch. I didn't bother with this step because I know that the raw edges of the tencil knit jersey will not fray or be problematic.

The four points of the crotch piece are going to line up with your center front, center back, and crotch seam on the inside.




Line up the short center of the diamond with the crotch seams first, then align the two longer points with the center front/ back seam allowances.

Now just gently tack each point in place, just catching the seam allowances with your needle, without actually poking through to the outside of the knickers.



Just a few basting stitches should do the trick. 

I used thread that matches my fabric color perfectly so that it blends right in.

And voila! If you've gone with the ribbon edging like I did in this version then you're done! 



Here is my finished pair of French Knickers with ribbon edging. Pretty, no?


For our next post, I'll go over trimming the leg openings with lace instead of ribbon.

Any questions?

1 comment:

  1. I'm, just today, getting around to ordering my pattern, so I haven't been 'sewing along'. I was wondering if you could, please, add some advice about replacing the elastic with either a draw string or a placket. I'm really trying to avoid wearing elastic, these days. Thank you very much.

    ReplyDelete