Wednesday, September 22, 2010

The Uniform Project and the LBD

It seems that most women have a 'go-to dress' tucked away in their closet somewhere. The little black dress that always fits, always looks good, and is appropriate for nearly every occasion is a wardrobe staple. But what if your LBD was also your every-day dress?

If you haven't heard of The Uniform Project, you should know about it. It has completely put everything I thought about re-wearing a dress out the window.






Last year, my new hero Sheena Matheiken created the Uniform Project. She pledged to wear the same little black dress every day for an entire year as an "exercise in sustainability" and a fundraiser to support the Akanksha Foundation – a non-profit organization providing education to children living in Indian slums. So for an ENTIRE year, Ms. Matheiken reinvented her uniform using accessories that were only handmade, vintage,  reused or donated.

The project became almost immediately famous and through donations and sponsorship, she was able to raise a womping $100,000 to put kids in school! Talk about being queen of the accessory! The project's ideals remained true and a pattern was created for the most versatile LBD ever. I bought one moments after finding out about the project and I can't wait to get my hands on this baby!
I don't know about you, but I can't wait to see how many ways I can style this, and who knows? Maybe I'll get up the nerve to try the one month version of this challenge for charity. That of course, would require a washer/ dryer that does a load in less than 14 hours. Where could I find one of those in Norway?

2 comments:

  1. I love the uniform projekt!!!!What a great idea ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oooo if you make it we must absolutely have photos!

    ReplyDelete